It’s that time of the year again where I celebrated my birthday this month in which I turned 32.
In honour of this age, I scribbled down the first 32 life lessons that came to my head and thought I’d share these with you.
You may not agree with all of them (I wouldn’t expect you to!), but perhaps there maybe one or two things you could take away from it.
1. Learning is worthless if you can’t apply it to your life in some way immediately.
2. If you’re really, really excited about something, you’ll find a way to make it happen.
3. Be adaptable. Life is a journey and it doesn’t always pan out the way you would like it to.
4. Positivity will get you a lot further than negativity ever will.
5. Make travel to places you’ve never been before a must in your yearly calendar. You’ll gain powerful new perspectives.
6. Contribute more to the lives of others.
7. Kicking off your day with an intense workout is a better wonder drug than caffeine.
8. Get a coach, a mentor or be part of a powerful mastermind group that regularly pushes you out of your comfort zones.
9. Your most important lessons in life come from your failures and challenges that you have overcome.
10. What you feed your mind is just as important as what you feed your body.
11. Your direction in life is largely the result of the daily habits you have.
12. If you have no focus for the week, month or year ahead, chances are it will be the same as the last week, month and year.
13. One of the best feelings in the world is to have had a transformational impact on someone’s life, to have inspired them to achieve something that they had previously thought impossible.
14. Life won’t change for the better until you step up, drop your ego and accept responsibility for where you are and what must be done to move you closer to where you want to be.
15. Society needs more women in senior, decision-making positions.
16. End each day by reflecting on what you’re most proud of that day and what you’re most grateful for.
17. Meditation is one of the best ways to calm the mind, eliminate stress and gain greater clarity.
18. Make health a priority. An easy win is spending less time on digital devices and more time in the beauty of nature.
19. Your income is very much driven by the value that you add to people’s lives.
20. All things equal, your hard work and hustle will move you ahead of the competition.
21. Public speaking is a powerful skill to have. Without it, it is difficult to spread your thoughts and ideas in an impactful and influential way.
22. Age is just a number. It is never too late or too early to begin.
23. The invisible world (thoughts, beliefs, having a vision that is magnetic and exciting in feeling) affects our visible world (actions, decisions, etc) in more ways than you can imagine.
24. You can’t do everything yourself. Learn to outsource more so you can focus on what’s most important.
25. Patience and consistency are rare traits. When embraced, epic results often occur. Most want results now and aren’t consistent in their daily disciplines.
26. Plan your day the night before. Plan the week ahead on a Sunday. No plans mean no focus and as the popular saying goes: ‘fail to plan, plan to fail’.
27. Live simpler. You don’t really need everything you have. Decluttered environments does wonders for the mind. Something that Marie Kondo taught me!
28. Ask more and be more audacious in your requests.
29. Surprise your spouse often.
30. Failure and success are not two different concepts. Nearly all successes have come as the result of a prior failure.
31. Invest in yourself. Ask yourself the question of ‘How do I want to grow’ on a regular basis. I’m happy to invest thousands into a course if, by the end of it, I’ve taken away just one insight that can have a game changing impact.
32. Be careful what you say ‘Yes’ to. When you say ‘Yes’ to something, you’re saying ‘No’ to something else. Be protective of your time.
While reading through the above, if there’s any personal life lessons that you have, I’d love to hear what they are.
Everyone has a story to tell and a lesson to share, and I’m sure I could benefit from hearing some of these!
Have your say
If you’ve worked with me or heard me speak at an event, you’ll know how much I love and are inspired by… …...
Over the weekend, I saw a TEDx Talk by Mel Robbins that LITERALLY left me in awe. In it, she shared the results of...